Sunday, November 22, 2009

Departure, Fulfillment, Return



I had so much fun at this show. I met a lot of talented and friendly individuals who I hope I'll be seeing more of in the future.

Here's the blog for the event: http://www.movies-and-makers.blogspot.com/

Above is my display at the event. Some of the stuff in that shot is hot, hot, HOT! As in new and as in saucy. They will all make a proper appearance on the blog and be for sale at the Cyclops and Owl Store very shortly.

This was my first sale and it was a real delight. Nothing sold like hotcakes but I never expected that. What I did expect, and what I got, was an up close and interactive experience with the public. It was exhilarating. With gallery shows I've found the interaction with the public is rather passive. You are not standing right next to your artwork (and it would feel so awkward for you and the viewer if you were). In the setting of the sale you are literally standing behind what you do. I was absolutely chuffed.

I'll save sharing the myriad reactions to my things for later but they were pretty satisfying. And I don't just mean the most receptive ones. Some of the best responses were rooted in confusion.

I had not really taken stock of the pieces I had amassed over the past while. It felt great to address the family as a whole, I guess. And I was proud to stand by them. I was also proud to have my cohort forever stand by me. She is my marvelous muse and it was totally icing on top to have her there with me.

I'm definitely going to chase this wonderful feeling of getting my world more exposed in the real world. So simple, right?

Thanks to all involved for putting on this show. Especially Lisa Pijuan-Nomura of Girl can Create and Andy Willick and Daniel Demois of The Fox Theatre.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"I'm definitely going to chase this wonderful feeling of getting my world more exposed in the real world. So simple, right?"

yes! yes! yes!