Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Frisket Film: Amazing tool, but a harsh mistress

I love Frisket Film. I've just started working with it. I did a piece last week where I used it to mask out some great text. The above would have been great as well. I first masked out the razor sharp hexagon leaving behind the smokey plexi-glas. No problems, worked like a charm.
Then there was the second masking, for creating the swooping cloud background for the character. The knife cutting was hard but came out great. There was one problem. I left the frisket on overnight, what I now know is a cardinal frisket no-no, especially in this blasted heat. It was alright over the clean plexi, but where the matte jade paint was the residue was atrocious. I did a hasty paper remask to try to paint over it and save it, but to no avail. The residue is practically sneering at me in that picture. So learn from my mistakes. Frisket Film is great, just don't rest on your laurels.It just happened so I thought I'd post in the moment! The venting has helped.

No comments: