Saturday, February 28, 2009

New Toy!


Well I'd been eying this thing for a while at Job #2. It's Pilot's Parallel Pen, in particular the broadest one, 6.0 mm. The parallel bit refers to the nib which unlike most fountain pen/calligraphy nibs has no top or bottom and is instead made up of 2 identical plates which sandwich the ink. The drawing above was my first crack at using it. I am head over heels in love with this pen. The colours are vivid and it allows me to work a lot looser which is a welcomed change from the meticulous line work I usually employ. The ink is begging to get out but it never really gushes or pools. It is very versatile. You can use the full width for broad traditional calligraphy strokes or you can use the just the corners of the blunt square tip to get the thinnest of strokes.

My aim at present is to do celebrity portraits in this style...the first of which is already completed...stay tuned.

This is drawn on 100 lb. bristol paper with vellum finish (Strathmore).

No comments: